Carlos Condit undecided about MMA future: ‘I don’t know if I belong here anymore’ – MMA Fighting

Carlos Condit publicly wondered back in January if his loss to then-welterweight champion Robbie Lawler at UFC 195 would be the swan song to his 15-year mixed martial arts career. And although Condit decided to ultimately jump back into the fray, the question of retirement arose once more on Saturday night, when in the throes of his first-round loss to Demian Maia at UFC on FOX 21, the 32-year-old Condit admitted that the end of his fighting days may be approaching.

“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level anymore,” Condit said at the UFC on FOX 21 post-fight press conference. “I’ve been at this for a really long time, and the pressure of kind of being one of the top guys for almost a decade, it’s been awesome. I’ve loved being involved in this sport for the time that I have, and I’ve gotten to do what I love for a living for a long period of time. But, I don’t know, man. I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.”

Condit (30-10) suffered the fastest loss of his fighting career at UFC on FOX 21, submitting to the jiu-jitsu wizardry of Maia via rear-naked choke in less than two minutes. The loss exacerbated a career slide that has seen Condit go 2-5 over his last seven fights since he was crowned interim UFC welterweight champion, and although he very nearly captured the UFC title earlier this year, Condit admitted that retirement is something that has been in the back of his mind for some time now.

“It’s been a long career and I think there comes a point in every fighters’ career that they have to kind of question how long they’re going to continue to do that,” Condit said. “And I’ve been doing that for a little while. It wasn’t my night tonight. I don’t know if that’s going to be the swan song for me. Hopefully not. I would hate to go out on a loss like this. I would’ve at least liked to have got in there and put on an exciting show like I usually do.

“But yeah, I don’t know what’s in the cards. I’m leaning towards probably, possibly being done.”

A win over Maia would have likely thrust Condit right back into the title conversation, but Maia never gave Condit a chance.

The Brazilian took the fight to the floor within the opening seconds, then nailed Condit with a punch from half guard that Condit admitted “rattled” him. From there, Maia took Condit’s back and seized the fight-ending choke, yet the part that Condit sounded most surprised about is the fact that he was so hurt by a seemingly ordinary punch from half guard.

“Honestly, I’ve had a tough career with a lot of fights and I’ve taken a lot of punishment,” Condit said. “And I don’t know if I can continue to take shots, honestly.”

Condit now moves back into an already crowded pack of welterweight contenders. Considering the logjam at the top of the division, plus the potential return of big-money fighters like Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz, it could take a decent climb for his name to return to title contention.

Nonetheless, Condit is also one of the most celebrated finishers the sport has ever seen, and even at age 32, “The Natural Born Killer” remains one of the toughest outs in the welterweight division.

“I’ll probably talk to the people around me, talk to my wife, and kind of make the decision after we’ve had some discussion and then a little bit of assessing of where I’m going, what’s on the horizon,” Condit said.

“That’s what this sport is, you win and you lose, and ultimately it’s about going in there and testing your skills, and it doesn’t always turn out in your favor. Tonight it didn’t for me.”

Carlos Condit undecided about MMA future: ‘I don’t know if I belong here anymore’ – MMA Fighting


Ronda Rousey suffers first loss of MMA career – New York Daily News


MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) ? Holly Holm pulled off a stunning upset victory over Ronda Rousey in UFC 193, knocking out the women’s bantamweight champion in the second round with a powerful kick to the head Sunday.


The fight started at a frenetic pace with Holm landing some powerful shots to the unbeaten Rousey’s head, leaving the frustrated champion with a bloodied nose at the end of the first round.


RELATED: WHO IS HOLLY HOLM?



Rousey attempted to dominate the second round, pushing Holm around the ring until the challenger snapped a massive kick to the head that instantly dropped her opponent to the canvas.


Holm (10-0) jumped on the prone Rousey, delivering several blows to her head before the referee intervened. An ecstatic Holm jumped around the ring as Rousey received medical treatment amid the roar of a stunned record UFC crowd.


FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. “LIKE” US HERE.

Holly Holm wins the UFC women's bantamweight championship with an upset win over Ronda Rousey.

Holly Holm wins the UFC women’s bantamweight championship with an upset win over Ronda Rousey.

(PAUL CROCK/AFP/Getty Images)


“I had so much love and support I just thought, ‘How can I not do this?'” Holm said from the ring. “This right here is priceless.”


Rousey, a former judo Olympian, was unbeaten through 12 UFC fights before meeting Holm, and a win would have been her seventh title defense. Instead, a veteran female boxer from New Mexico has the championship belt.



“I have to say that everything that we worked on presented itself in the fight. Every grab that she tried to get and clinch on the cage, and I just had help with everything,” Holm said. “I have not spent this much time in the gym before any fight of my life.”


Rousey left the stadium to receive treatment for facial cuts at a nearby hospital after the loss and skipped the post-fight media conference.


RELATED: HOLLY HOLM’S CAMP WINS BIG BETTING ON ROUSEY UPSET



A photo posted by rondarousey (@rondarousey) on Nov 15, 2015 at 5:57pm PST


CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP: GET THE DAILY NEWS ON ANDROID & iOS


UFC chief Dana White said a rematch between Holm and Rousey made “a lot of sense” and would put other potential matchups on the backburner.


Ronday Rousey gets roughed up by Holly Holm in the first round.

Ronday Rousey gets roughed up by Holly Holm in the first round.

(Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Tags:
ronda rousey
holly holm
ufc
Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Ronda Rousey suffers first loss of MMA career – New York Daily News


Rory MacDonald slams the UFC for being ‘boring’ during Bellator introduction – MMA Fighting

Rory MacDonald might not fight again for almost a year, but he took a few jabs at his former promoter Friday night.

At his introductory press conference, MacDonald took the UFC to task for making MMA “boring,” pinpointing the promotion’s Reebok uniforms specifically. The presser took place following Bellator 160 in Anaheim. MacDonald signed with Bellator last week.

MacDonald, 27, said Bellator MMA places a premium on individuality and entertainment, unlike the UFC, which signed an apparel deal with Reebok last year that makes every fighter wear similar gear inside the Octagon.

“The production of the show, it just stands out right away,” MacDonald said of Bellator. “The big screens, the entrances. They do it bigger. They do it right here. It’s a fight show here. They want to promote a fighter, they want to build it. It’s not generic where everyone is wearing the same thing. We get to be our own individual self, promote ourselves. Where I was before, everyone is wearing the same uniforms now, we’re all walking out of the same, boring dressing room or the gate. It’s boring. People are tired of that.”

MacDonald (18-4) was a free agent after his loss to Stephen Thompson in June. The Canadian star said the UFC made him an offer, but did not match the offer Bellator proposed to him. Bellator president Scott Coker said the signing became official Friday.

“It’s been a long time in the making,” MacDonald said. “I’ve had a lot to consider probably over a year. We’ve been in talks with Bellator for a long time now. It’s gone back and forth with the UFC. We’ve put a great deal together. We’re gonna build a great business together. Bellator believes in me; I believe in the company. We’re gonna take it to the next level. We’re gonna take over.”

“The Red King” said he probably won’t have his first Bellator fight until the summer of 2017. He’s still healing the broken nose he first injured in his UFC welterweight title fight with Robbie Lawler at UFC 189 in July 2015. He broke the nose after that in training and again in the fight with Thompson.

When he does return to the cage, it’ll probably be in his home country of Canada, Coker said.

“We’re gonna take Bellator into Canada and we’re gonna do it big,” MacDonald said. “We’re gonna reinvigorate that market. Those fans are gonna get a proper fight show again.”

MacDonald made $59,000 for that title fight with Lawler and that changed his way of thinking about MMA. Before, he just wanted to fight as often as possible against the best fighters in the world. After that sum in a very violent and possibly life-altering fight, MacDonald became more of a businessman, he said.

The Reebok deal and the UFC’s sale for $4 billion also played into this decision, MacDonald added.

“The tide is turning,” he said. “For me, that title fight against Robbie was an eye-opener. It was like, OK we got to the show where you wanted to go, it didn’t work out, but now it’s time to start making some money.”

MacDonald seems to be doing that in Bellator and he said there were other factors, too. One of them is Bellator’s commitment to promoting him as a top star and not just another cog in the machine.

“You walk into that cage like every single other person out there on the roster,” MacDonald said of the UFC. “You’re basically like a robot walking into the cage with the same jersey on, there’s no difference between this guy and that guy. It’s boring, I find it. It’s very plain. I understand where they’re trying to go with it, but that’s just not fight sport. There’s no personality there.”

Rory MacDonald slams the UFC for being ‘boring’ during Bellator introduction – MMA Fighting


NASCAR Michigan 2016: Lineup, starting grid for Pure Michigan 400 – SB Nation

Joey Logano is quite familiar with winning from the pole at Michigan International Speedway, something he’s accomplished twice previously — including in June at the 2-mile track.

The Team Penske driver will have a chance to make it a third on Sunday, as he took the No. 1 spot on the starting grid during Friday qualifying for the Pure Michigan 400. A victory and Logano would tie NASCAR Hall of Famers David Pearson and Bill Elliott as the only drivers to win times from the pole at Michigan.

“Anytime you can put your name with a Hall of Fame member of any sort is really special for me,” Logano said. “That is crazy, a really neat stat.”

Logano shares the front row with Jimmie Johnson, who’s looking to snap a slump that’s hindered him and his Hendrick Motorsports teammates for much of the summer. Starting third is Denny Hamlin, who was fastest in final practice on Saturday but slightly damaged his car after he spun exiting Turn 4. His team was able to make repairs and he will not have to switch to a backup Toyota.

Kevin Harvick, who won a week ago at Bristol Motor Speedway, is fourth, and rookie Chase Elliott, Johnson’s teammate, in fifth.

“I just got loose,” Hamlin told NBC Sports. “It was definitely out of the blue, for sure. The tire and the track combination, you’re so on the edge that when you break traction, you fully pretty much break traction.

“We were going to patch it, just put the splitter on it. But it has a little bit of structure damage to the bumper bars and whatnot … We’ve got a real good baseline. We’ll make sure it’s right when we go to the green flag tomorrow.”

Completing the top 10 qualifiers were Alex Bowman — substituting for Dale Earnhardt Jr., who’s recovering from a concussion — rookie Ryan Blaney, Jamie McMurray, Carl Edwards and Ryan Newman.

The green flag waves on the Pure Michigan 400 at 2:16 p.m. ET and can be seen on NBCSN.

Pure Michigan 400 starting grid

NASCAR Michigan 2016: Lineup, starting grid for Pure Michigan 400 – SB Nation


Lifelong NASCAR fan stakes out his corner of heaven in MIS infield – Detroit Free Press

BROOKLYN, Mich. ? Every?sports fan?needs heroes.?They?need villains more often than that.

Even Kevin Kent.

Who, you ask,?is Kevin Kent?

Well, for one, the owner of a reimagined school bus known as ?Destination Heaven.? For two, a lifelong NASCAR fan, who counts Jesus as his favorite racer and Matt?Kenseth?as his second.

Kent is an ironworker?in?Toledo?who?s camped at the infield of Michigan International Speedway since 2000.

Since 2002, he?s parked?his?revamped school bus at a central intersection of the infield and waited for it to get dark, so he could power up a series of purple fluorescent tubes, throwing light on a Jackson Pollack-like kaleidoscope of paint that covers every inch of the bus?s interior.

Known as the psychedelic bus, Kent?s creation attracted the biggest party at MIS for years.?One day in 2007, Kent found God. Actually, he stayed sober for a night and liked it. He?gave himself to Christianity the next day.

Kent still parks his bus at MIS and welcomes everyone. He just doesn?t offer beer anymore. He offers Bibles, though alcohol is welcome.

This sort of tension has driven NASCAR for decades. Among its fans, and among its drivers, or at least the perception of its drivers. Bad boys were good for business. So were characters like Kent, who lived to set up his bus and accompanying tent and psychedelic furniture as a sort of makeshift rave for country folk.

NASCAR fans spent time and money for the speed and power of the racing but also for the unpredictability of the scene. Where else will you find a school bus turned into a psychedelic party camper turned into a thumping, black-lit rolling ministry?

After Kent became a true believer, he covered the exterior of the bus in Bible verse and phrases honoring his new faith. Most notably on the turbocharged air intake that goosenecks out from the hood.

It reads: ?Blown Away with Jesus.?

Kent insists that he doesn?t proselytize beyond the sloganeering on his bus and tells party-goers in the infield to ?come as they are.?

He likes the?disparate?mix of folks drawn to his corner of?the?grass ? he?s actually got three plots ? and has even talked with NASCAR folks about turning his bus over one day for the sport?s Hall of Fame; it?s known throughout several tracks on the circuit and has attracted the occasional driver. (The?Hall?told him they probably wouldn?t have room.)

This week, Kent is surrounded by more space than usual. NASCAR moved the August race here back a week and the change surely hurt attendance. But even accounting for schedule the sport finds itself searching for its identity, and for drivers that can serve as heroes to some and villains to others.

Kenseth, who is Kent?s favorite driver, is a skilled and accomplished pro but no one?s idea of either. Tony Stewart is beloved and loathed but is set to race for the last time at MIS Sunday and is retiring at season?s end.

Joey?Logano, who won the pole position Friday, is a young driver who rubs some old-timers the wrong way and lots of fans despise the Busch brothers (Kyle and Kurt).?But?none are?authentic antiheroes.

?Just arrogant,? said?Joe Johnson, who?arrived Thursday at MIS with?five of his best buddies from their homes in Reed City.

That contempt?is important.?It?s one of the emotions that?makes sport interesting. So does?excellence,?as?long as it?s the right kind.

As?Johnson?points out, even?circuit?s?most dominant force,?Jimmie Johnson,?doesn?t offer the normal tension that greats often do.?He?s just kind of there, a robotic presence,?just as?unlikely to?use?salty language?as he is to?hop from his car and throw?a helmet.

Or go after another driver with his fists.

Much has been written about the scrubbing of NASCAR?s image the last decade, and whether it happened by strategy or by evolution is beside the point. The truth is the sport is no different than any other. It needs stories.

Like Kent?s, a free-spirited soul whose journey enlivens every track he settles in. His story is messy, and that?s a good thing.

It?s best when the drivers he admires are, too.

Lifelong NASCAR fan stakes out his corner of heaven in MIS infield – Detroit Free Press


Alex Bowman has mixed feelings about taking Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s NASCAR ride at Pure Michigan 400 – Autoweek


Earnhardt missing seventh race of the season due to concussion symptoms

Alex Bowman is back in Dale Earnhardt Jr.?s No. 88 Chevrolet Hendrick Motorsports ride and sporting the Maize and Blue on Sunday for the Pure Michigan 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Michigan International Speedway.

It?s a situation that, while good for the 23-year-old Bowman, comes with mixed feelings– not only for Earnhardt fans, but for Bowman, too.

Earnhardt is missing his seventh race of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with concussion-like symptoms.

?Honestly, for me being as close of friends as I am with Dale, I have just been hoping he gets to felling better more than anything,? Bowman said on Friday at MIS. ?Obviously, I?m more than happy to fill-in whenever I can.?


The door is closing on Dale Earnhardt Jrs NASCAR Chase hopes













Mike Pryson



Mike Pryson



– Mike Pryson covered auto racing for the Jackson (Mich.) Citizen Patriot and M-Live Media Group from 1991 until joining Autoweek as online motorsports editor In 2012. Promoted to motorsports editor in 2015. Read more ?


See more by this author?



Alex Bowman has mixed feelings about taking Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s NASCAR ride at Pure Michigan 400 – Autoweek