Trump golf course housekeeper is undocumented immigrant: NYT | TheHill – The Hill


A woman who has worked for years as a maid at President TrumpDonald John TrumpNapolitano: Trump Jr. thinks he will be indicted by Mueller Dems cry foul in undecided N.C. race On The Money: Trump touts China actions day after stock slide | China ‘confident’ on new trade deal | GM chief meets lawmakers to calm anger over cuts | Huawei CFO arrested MORE’s New Jersey golf club is an undocumented immigrant, The New York Times reported Thursday.

The news outlet profiled Victorina Morales, who reportedly crossed the border illegally in 1999 and was hired at Trump’s Bedminster Golf Club in 2013. She told the news outlet she used “phony” immigration papers to secure employment. 

The Times reported that Morales has “made Trump’s bed, cleaned his toilet and dusted his crystal golf trophies” during her time working at Bedminster. 

Trump has visited his Bedminster golf club on numerous occasions since taking office. The property has hosted Trump Cabinet officials and the 2017 U.S. Women’s Open.

Morales told the newspaper that two Bedminster supervisors were aware of her immigration status and helped her to keep her job. There is no indication that Trump or executives at the Trump Organization, which owns the property, knew of her status.

The Trump Organization said in a statement released to The Hill that “if an employee submitted false documentation in an attempt to circumvent the law, they will be terminated immediately.”

The statement did not directly comment on Morales’s case.

The revelation comes as the Trump administration cracks down on illegal immigration, one of the hallmarks of the president’s agenda. Trump himself has repeatedly used vitriolic rhetoric to describe immigrants.

He launched his presidential campaign in 2015 by describing some Mexican immigrants as “rapists” and “criminals,” and has more recently described a group of Central American migrants seeking asylum as “invaders” and “thugs.” Most of those migrants hail from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

In response to the approaching caravan, Trump has directed troops be deployed to the border and has signed a proclamation barring some immigrants from declaring asylum. The latter order has been challenged in court.

The Times reported that Morales and another undocumented woman who previously worked at the golf club approached the newspaper with their story. Morales acknowledged she could be fired or deported by coming forward. 

She told the Times that she’s been bothered by Trump’s rhetoric and that she’s been subject to verbal abuse by a supervisor, as well.

“We are tired of the abuse, the insults, the way he talks about his when he knows that we are here helping him make money,” she told the newspaper. “We sweat it out to attend to his every need and have to put up with his humiliation.”

—Updated at 2:15 p.m.



Lehigh Valley HS wrestling tour stop No. 14: New look for Parkland, new approach for coach Mike Ottinger – Allentown Morning Call


Parkland’s wrestling room looks a lot different this year.

A dozen Trojans graduated in 2018. Another moved. Another had off-the-mat issues.

There are six 2018 District 11 junior high medalists in there now.

There also is a different Mike Ottinger in the room.

“I’m a little bit louder,” the second-year coach said.

It hasn’t gone unnoticed by the handful of returnees.

“Everything is 10 times harder,” junior Lucas Kern said. “[The coaches] want us to do really well, so they’re just going to go right at us.”

Ottinger’s change in approach comes at a good time for him and the program.

It is tough for a first-year head coach to establish a lot with a dozen seniors set in their ways staring him in the eye.

So, this year is about a fresh approach with fresh faces eager to be taught and determined to work hard to prove they belong in the varsity lineup.

“I think I know what I want more in my team,” the 2011 Parkland graduate said. “Last year, I was not really sure, still figuring some things out.

“Now it’s like, ‘Hey, this is the direction I want to go in.’ I’m trying to focus on doing the right things outside of wrestling as well as inside.”

Ottinger, a goal-driven wrestler and soccer player in his day, is resisting the urge to establish goals focused on wins and losses with this year’s team because he recognizes that is what is best.

Instead, he and assistants Tarik Haddad, Adam Hluschak and Pat Corp are focused on getting on the mat with the largely inexperienced varsity group and teaching.

“The competitive side of me worries about winning,” Ottinger admitted, “but I’m trying to worry about us putting hands on a guy the right way, hitting a shot the right way, working on doing the right things, and letting the winning take care of itself.

“Getting everyone to be disciplined and buying into the right things is good to do with a younger team, to get all that established.

“I think we’ve got a really good culture in here. I have their ear. I think they are bought in.”

High school wrestling preseason preview story gallery »

The lineup

Two-time District 11 junior high placewinner Nathan Kresge, a freshman, will be at 106 and sometimes 113.

Junior Gabe Montanez or freshman Keagan Kinney will be at 120. Kinney, junior Bryan Diaz or freshman Nico Medlar are at 126.

Kern is at 132.

Seniors Kale Cummings, Joey Dolak and Mason Lansenderfer will combine to fill the slots at 138 and 145.

Sophomores Josh Wieder and Edwin Moya are at 152 and 160.

Senior Joey Guida will be at 170 when he returns from an injury. Sophomore Jacob Ortman is at 170-182.

Freshman Zayd Afif is at 182 or 195.

Newcomers Garrett Fitzgerald (220), a sophomore, and senior Cory Border (285) anchor the top two weights.

“They are a couple football guys I’m really impressed with,” Ottinger said. “Both are studs on the football field. It’s similar to last year when we had Nate Wieder and Jahan Worth for a little bit.

“Garrett and Cory came out of nowhere. They wrestled when they were younger. They both look great. They could be two of our best guys in lineup.”

Palisades turning to LaFevre for foundation, future »

The schedule

Parkland does not open its season until its EPC opener against visiting Dieruff on Wednesday, Dec. 12.

The Trojans have two tournaments in the first month: at Penn Manor on Friday-Saturday, Dec. 14-15, and Liberty’s Bethlehem Holiday Wrestling Classic on Friday-Saturday, Dec. 28-29.

Ottinger’s club hosts Northampton, Souderton, Boyertown, Mariana Bracetti, Delaware Valley, Central (District 12) and Cumberland Valley at the Parkland Duals on Saturday, Jan. 5, to kick off its 2019 slate.

Parkland also returns to the Escape the Rock tournament at Council Rock South on Saturday-Sunday, Jan. 19-20, before finishing EPC action by hosting Nazareth on Thursday, Jan. 24.

thousenick@mcall.com

Twitter @TomHousenick

610-820-6651



Aphiwe Dyantyi hopes to inspire future rugby stars following World Rugby award – Roodepoort Northsider


Aphiwe Dyantyi makes a run in the 2017 Varsity Cup semi-final against the University of Stellenbosch at the Danie Craven Stadium. Photo: Liam Hamer Nel

Former University of Johannesburg star, Aphiwe Dyantyi, hopes his meteoric rise from varsity ‘koshuis’ rugby to Springbok rugby will provide inspiration for young rugby players coming through the ranks to follow in his footsteps.

The 24-year-old wing shot to prominence this year with a series of stunning performances for the Springboks, culminating in him being named the Breakthrough Player of the Year at the World Rugby Awards gala in Monaco on Sunday, 25 November. Remarkably, just a few years ago, he practically gave up rugby altogether.

After making his mark with UJ in the Varsity Cup last year, Dyantyi’s career has blossomed. He made his international debut this year and has scored six tries in 13 tests. The talented player has, however, kept his feet firmly on the ground, knowing that he needs to be an example to others.

“I just want to keep on challenging myself to keep on improving and hopefully make a difference for our country,” he said following the award announcement at the weekend. “But equally, I want to make an impact on someone else’s life, someone who will see my story as an inspiration to do something great out there. That is my ultimate goal.”

Dyantyi has also not forgotten those who helped him. “I’ve been truly blessed in so many ways with the people around me who have helped me in the last few years – it’s really amazing,” he said. “Being part of the Springboks, representing the country – it doesn’t get any better. I’m very honoured as I never imagined I would ever be the one sitting here receiving an award such as this.”

He said he had always watched other players receiving awards and never thought he would be in line for such an accolade. “Even now, it’s still difficult to believe and I was honoured just to be a nominee for the award.”

Dyantyi said he saw some of the challenges during his career as something he needed to embrace. “I see it as a journey for any young player. Sport allows you the chance to express yourself. My aim when I go out onto the field is to enjoy myself and make sure I try to play with a smile on my face.”

Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at northsider@caxton.co.za  (remember to include your contact details) or phone us on 011 955 1130.

For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister newspaper websites 

Roodepoort Record

Randfontein Herald

Krugersdorp News 

Get It Joburg West Magazine



Golf: Good preparation vital for Presidents Cup success, say Tiger – Reuters


MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Tiger Woods learned the hard way two decades ago how important preparation was for Presidents Cup success and he is determined to leave nothing to chance when he captains the United States at next year’s edition at Royal Melbourne.

FILE PHOTO: Nov 23, 2018; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Tiger Woods lines up a putt on the 16th green during The Match: Tiger vs Phil golf match at Shadow Creek Golf Course. Mandatory Credit: Rob Schumacher-USA TODAY Sports/File Photo

The 42-year-old has already expressed his disquiet about his own World Challenge tournament being scheduled for the week before the Dec. 12-15 clash against an International team of players from the rest of the world, excluding Europe.

Anyone playing the World Challenge 16,000 kms away in the Bahamas will not get to Australia until Tuesday — only 48 hours before the start of the Presidents Cup — and Woods said he needed to ensure they would still be fresh.

“We have to figure out some logistical things between now and then,” the 14-times major champion told reporters in Melbourne on Thursday.

“We’ve got (to) try and get the best field we can at the (World Challenge), as well as getting everyone here from the Bahamas to this tournament, get them rested, getting them prepared and getting them ready to play and compete.”

Woods said the experience of 1998 at Royal Melbourne, when he was part of the only U.S. team to lose to the Internationals, illustrated how important it was that the Americans were ready to go.

“The guys took quite a bit of time off, and quite frankly, we weren’t prepared to play, and we got smoked,” he recalled.

“The internationals came out ready, prepared, played, and they drummed us. My job is to make sure that the guys are prepared, they’re still playing and trying to stay fresh and competitive late in the year.”

Woods reiterated that he wanted to be a playing captain but said he would consult with his vice captains and team mates over whether to pick himself if he failed to qualify as one of the automatic selections.

“After the Tour Championship, we’ll have our top eight guys, and hopefully I’ll be part of the top eight,” he said.

“If not, then (we) are going to have to figure out … who are the next four guys that will be best served to be part of this team.

“I don’t know if I’ll be a part of that conversation either way, as a player, but as a captain, yeah, I’ll be a part of it.”

Woods, a non-playing vice-captain at the 2017 edition, said taking charge of the Presidents Cup team was “special” and that he had a good idea of what kind of captain he wanted to be.

“Well, one that leads our team to a victory, one that the guys will have a lot of fun and respect,” he said.

“And one that’ll create an environment where it’ll be a moment and a week that they’ll remember for the rest of their lives.”

Writing by Nick Mulvenney in Sydney, editing by Amlan Chakraborty

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



‘I’ll pay their little fine’: Ezekiel Elliott runs afoul of the NFL with his Salvation Army celebration – The Washington Post


So much for the spirit of giving. Ezekiel Elliott has been fined for his Thanksgiving Day celebration involving the Salvation Army kettle that sits near the end zone at AT&T Stadium.

The Dallas Cowboys running back, who has used the kettle that appears before the charity’s annual donations drive before for end zone celebrations, whipped out $21 and plopped it into the pot after a 16-yard touchdown run. He also “donated” his quarterback, Dak Prescott, to the cause later, helping him into the kettle at another point.

The NFL decided this weekend that Elliott should increase his giving — to $13,369, to be exact — for what was a second offense. (Prescott escaped with a warning.) Elliott’s not in the giving mood and plans to appeal the fine.

“I mean I didn’t really expect a fine, really don’t care about the fine,” Elliott told reporters Wednesday. “It’s all for a good cause and we’re trying to bring awareness to the Salvation Army, and if the NFL doesn’t like that, then, I mean, that’s on them. I’ll pay their little fine.”

After the game, Elliott wasn’t exactly pleased with how the NFL is choosing to regulate certain celebrations, even though fine money goes not to the NFL but to the NFL Player Care Foundation and the Gene Upshaw Players Association’s Players Assistance Trust.

“A lot of things they do define ridiculous. but that’s not really any of my business, not anything I can change,” he said. “So I’m just going to keep being focused on this season, focused on leading this team, focused on going out there and winning ballgames.”

Elliott went down this road with the league when he was a rookie two years ago, but that time the NFL chose not to look like a gigantic Grinch. He celebrated a touchdown by jumping into the kettle and, with video of the celebration played on endless loop and garnering nothing but acclaim, he was merely warned by the league. He donated $21,000 to the charity but more important was the spike in donations that followed. By the midafternoon on the day after that game, the Salvation Army had taken in more than $180,000 and Eric Smallwood, the president of the sponsorship evaluation firm Apex Marketing Group, told ESPN that the advertising exposure equivalent of Elliott’s celebration would have cost the Salvation Army approximately $4 million.

The NFL was wise enough that time to back off.

Read more from The Post:

How two cases of player violence against women turned NFL season ‘upside down’

Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders out for season with a torn Achilles’ tendon

‘I just remember being hurtled’: Chargers fan tells of Steelers fan’s assault on his pregnant wife

Richard Sherman isn’t buying the Redskins’ reasons for not calling Colin Kaepernick

A Packers assistant called out Aaron Rodgers and the team on Twitter. Hours later, he was fired.