Sandown Lakeside track deemed unsafe for racing – Herald Sun


MELBOURNE Racing Club and Racing Victoria will investigate why, for the second time in seven weeks, a meeting was abandoned at Sandown Lakeside because horses slipped on turning for home.

Jockeys voted not to ride after several horses lost their footing in races two and three. Trainers weren?t happy as the meeting was a launching pad for horses chasing spring goals.

In the second race, Mark Zahra?s mount Lord And Master and Katelyn Mallyon?s Morning Mix lost their footing soon after straightening for home.

TARZINO WOUND UP TO DELIVER

GOLDEN ROSE: VANDYKE FEELS STRESS OF GETTING ROSE TO BLOOM

Jockeys then inspected the surface and agreed to ride again after the problem area was aerated.

They then rode in the third race but Ben Melham?s mount Deckhand and Ryan Maloney?s Arianne lost their footing. The nine jockeys riding in the fourth race then voted not to proceed.

Champion jockey Damien Oliver said they hoped the track had improved after it was aerated, but horses still lost their footing in the third race.

Melham said after riding Deckhand that he didn?t feel the track was safe for racing.

Chief steward Rob Montgomery said that once four of the jockeys had elected not to ride the meeting had to be called off.

Montgomery said he believed the jockeys made the right decision as the track was unsafe.

?The horses weren?t slipping but they were losing their footing. In that area a number of horses had the ground give away from underneath them,? Montgomery said.

Montgomery said before the meeting the stewards walked the track and there wasn?t any sign of a problem.

Victorian Jockeys? Association chief executive Des O?Keeffe said it was a disappointing result and he would meet officials today.

?We need to work in a collaborative way to come up with a solution. We will meet tomorrow with them and try and identify what the issue is,? O?Keeffe said yesterday.

O?Keeffe said his feedback was that jockeys love riding at the Hillside track.

MRC chief executive Brodie Arnhold said the club took full responsibility for abandoning the meeting.

RV clears Callow to resume riding

NOEL Callow will resume at Mornington on Thursday after being cleared to ride by Racing Victoria stewards on Wednesday.

The jockey was detained by Malaysian immigration officials after an incident with a false passport last month.

Deputy chief steward Rob Montgomery said a report would be forwarded to RV?s licensing subcommittee.

Callow has been booked for one ride, Regal Trader, on Thursday.

Buffering flies in Doomben trial

TOP sprinter Buffering sizzled in winning a barrier trial at Doomben on Wednesday.

Ridden by regular rider Damian Browne in a heavy saddle, the nine-year-old ran 59.58 sec for 1050m, close to the 59.19 course record, with his last 600m in 32.14.

media_cameraBuffering impressed in a barrier trial at Doomben on Wednesday. Picture: Darren England.

Browne said while he was happy with the trial there was improvement to come.

Trainer Robert Heathcote is still deciding whether to run Buffering in the Group 1 Moir Stakes at Moonee Valley on September 30.

Allen replaces Coffey on Prince

JOHN Allen will become the fourth jockey to ride Prince Of Penzance when the gelding runs in Saturday?s Makybe Diva Stakes at Flemington.

He replaces Harry Coffey, who has six rides in Adelaide.

Nick Hall will ride Perth filly Whispering Brook in the Thousand Guineas after Chris Parnham committed to Leotie.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *